Zinc Helps to Build Immunity Against Viruses
To maximally defend against viruses and other pathogens, it is important to maintain and support a healthy immune system.
When it comes to keeping your immune system in optimal shape, it is crucial to fuel your body with the right amounts of vitamins and minerals. Though you may not think of this mineral right off the bat, zinc is one of the most important minerals for immunity.
What is Zinc?
Zinc is a mineral that is vital for immunity, cellular metabolism, digestion, and nerve health [1,2,3]. Zinc is an essential mineral, which means that we must get it from our diet since our bodies do not naturally produce a bountiful reservoir of zinc. Though several foods are rich in zinc (including chickpeas, oysters, and red meat), it may not be feasible to get a constant supply of these foods every day . This is where supplements may help. Fortunately, the Immune Boost Elderberry Vitamin C supplement is unique in that it provides a convenient way to amplify your daily zinc stores.
Why Zinc is Essential to Immunity
When immune cells are dysfunctional, your body becomes susceptible to infections. Zinc helps to build viral immunity by supporting the function of various immune cells and molecules.
- Zinc Supports the Development of Immune Cells – Many types of immune cells must work together to enable a robust immune response against viruses, including natural killer (NK) cells and T-cells [1,5]. Zinc helps to create, develop, and mature these cells so they can quickly and reliably target viruses.
- Zinc is a Powerful Immune Signaling Molecule – Zinc is an important immune messenger. In the face of pathogens like viruses, a zinc flux occurs and acts as a danger signal to other immune molecules [1,5]. Ultimately, zinc helps to stop viruses from getting to our cells and helps to enhance the genetic survival mechanisms of cells themselves.
- Zinc Promotes Defenses that Clear Out Pathogens – One remarkable function of zinc is that it helps to neutralize harmful viruses and other pathogens. Essentially, after the immune cell “eats” the virus, zinc then intoxicates the virus, which ultimately neutralizes and kills it [1,5]. Another way zinc helps to clear out the harmful effects of viruses is by converting harmful reactive oxygen species (ROS) produced by viruses into less damaging forms .
Through these benefits, zinc promotes well-rounded immune health and defense against pathogens, including viruses.
The Happy-MD Immune Boost Supplement Advantage
The Immune Boost Supplement contains optimal amounts of the precious mineral, zinc. To provide you with even more immune coverage, the Immune Boost Supplement is also jam-packed with other natural, immune-boosting nutrients, including the renowned elderberry extract. Elderberry extract is rich in anthocyanins and flavonoids, which are antioxidants that promote immune defense and protect against damage from harmful oxygen radicals . Another benefit of elderberry extract is that it maintains respiratory health by supporting healthy levels of inflammation .
Other ingredients that are included in this supplement to provide total-body immunity include vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin B6, L-glutamine HCL, echinacea powder, garlic powder, turmeric curcuminoids, and probiotics.
- Wessels I, Maywald M, Rink L. Zinc as a Gatekeeper of Immune Function. Nutrients. 2017;9(12):1286. Published 2017 Nov 25. doi:10.3390/nu9121286
- Li P, Xu J, Shi Y, et al. Association between zinc intake and risk of digestive tract cancers: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Clin Nutr. 2014;33(3):415-420. doi:10.1016/j.clnu.2013.10.001
- Pfeiffer CC, Braverman ER. Zinc, the brain and behavior. Biol Psychiatry. 1982;17(4):513-532.
- Food sources: Murphy EW, Willis BW, Watt BK. Provisional tables on the zinc content of foods. J Am Diet Assoc. 1975;66(4):345-355.
- Maywald M, Wessels I, Rink L. Zinc Signals and Immunity. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18(10):2222. Published 2017 Oct 24. doi:10.3390/ijms18102222
- Strugała P, Loi S, Bażanów B, et al. A Comprehensive Study on the Biological Activity of Elderberry Extract and Cyanidin 3-O-Glucoside and Their Interactions with Membranes and Human Serum Albumin. Molecules. 2018;23(10):2566. Published 2018 Oct 8. doi:10.3390/molecules23102566
- Tiralongo E, Wee SS, Lea RA. Elderberry Supplementation Reduces Cold Duration and Symptoms in Air-Travellers: A Randomized, Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Clinical Trial. Nutrients. 2016;8(4):182. Published 2016 Mar 24. doi:10.3390/nu8040182